The Hospitality Industry
A rapidly expanding industry !
The world of hospitality offers a wide range of exciting careers in businesses related to travel and tourism, hotels and food & beverage, and events and leisure. It is also one of the world’s fastest growing and most dynamic fields of employment with positive trends forecasted for the coming years.
According to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), the industry is promising more growth and a powerful economic influence in the next decade.
Hospitality Industry Key Facts
- 8.7% of worldwide employment is in Travel & Tourism
- 337 million jobs worldwide are expected by 2023
- The Travel & Tourism economy is expected to grow by 4% per annum 2011-2021
A degree in hospitality management from Glion Institute of Higher Education will open the doors to a wide range of career pathways as illustrated by this list of possible career employment sectors.
To find out where our graduates and Alumni are actually working today, see …..
Hotels and Food & Beverage Services
- National and international hotel chains
- Corporate offices
- Holiday and sports clubs
- Time-share accommodations
- Night clubs
- Production facilities
- Distribution and trade companies
- Processing plants
- Tourist offices
- Ministries of tourism
- Travel agencies
- Tour operators
- Tourism planning and development sector
- Railway, maritime, airline companies
- Convention and congress facilities
Health and Wellness
- Clinics and hospitals
- Specialized establishments (retirement, homes and spas)
- Human resources department
- Training department
Marketing and Communication
- Sales and/or marketing department
- Public relations department
Education and Training
- Hotel and tourism management schools
- Professional and vocational establishments
- Research institutions
Journalism & Media
- Professional and specialized media
- Publishing houses
Other Sectors and Services
- Finance - banks
- Insurance companies
- Equipment supplier companies
- Real estate
- Information technology and IT services
- International business relations
Entering the Hospitality Industry
Glion’s current hospitality students are getting ready to enter this thriving job industry at the right time and with the right skills for a fast-paced career. With the possibility to hire students from institutions around the world, managers choose to recruit Glion’s graduates year after year for their industry-relevant skills.
In a survey given to hiring managers of hospitality-oriented companies around the world, participants were asked to rate Glion graduates on a wide range of skills and characteristics. Interestingly, 9 out of 10 hiring managers who responded rated career prospects for Glion graduates to be very good or excellent and indicated graduates are likely to be in the top 20% of industry positions in 5 to 10 years.
**Perceptions of International Hospitality School Graduates by Hospitality Human Resources Professionals and Hiring Managers, Commissioned by Laureate Hospitality Education, November 2005. To receive a complete copy of the report, please contact Glion Institute of Higher Education, c/o: Fabienne Rollandin, Rue de Lac 118, CH - 1815 Clarens, Switzerland.